Nonprofit: Union Settlement
Since opening its doors in 1895, Union Settlement has provided vital education, wellness, and community building services and programs to the underserved residents of East Harlem, one of New York City’s poorest immigrant and minority communities. Over 400 full-and part-time employees, along with hundreds of volunteers, touch the lives of more than 10,000 neighborhood residents each year, providing services that cover their entire lives, from infancy to old age.
Project: Union Settlement’s management is conducting a review of its finance function, including exploring the possibility of outsourcing its finance operations entirely, to determine whether that option will allow Union Settlement to more efficiently further its mission of assisting the low-income residents of East Harlem.
Union Settlement is seeking assistance with the analysis of the outsourcing option, which would include:
- Comparing the financial and other costs and benefits of current operations versus the services offered by the private firms;
- Gathering information from nonprofits that have taken this step, and learning from their experience; and
- Interviewing and potentially selecting an outsource firm, as well as assisting with the transition.
HBS alumni who have experience in nonprofit or corporate operations (CFOs would be ideal), and/or nonprofit management, and who believe that helping the neediest among us benefits society as a whole are encouraged to join this project.
- Kick-off meeting will be held September 6th at 6pm at Union Settlement, 237 East 104th Street NY, NY 10029
- Time commitment: approximately 10-15 hours per month for 3-4 months.
- Questions? Contact Holly Zimmerman ‘92, firstname.lastname@example.org.